Our first event of the year will be a scrimmage on October 21 at Bethel MIddle School. Debaters will see an exhibiition round by experienced debaters and have two practice rounds, one on each side of the motion.
Our motion for the Scrimmage will be:
This House believes that (THBT) National Service should be compulsory in the United States.
Debaters should research and prepare Proposition (for) and Opposition (against) cases that they will use in their practice rounds at the Scrimmage.
As agreed at the Spring Coaches’ Meeting, we have prepared a short brief discussing the topic and outlining basic cases for and against. Debaters may use these directly, or may further research the topic to deepen these arguments or to develop new ones. The brief may be downloaded here in Word Format or in PDF Format.
If you have any questions, please email us.
The school year is about to begin and our middle school debate calendar is just about set. We will begin with a scrimmage in October and tournaments in December, January and April. The details are:
- Scrimmage: October 21, Bethel Middle School, Bethel
- Fall Tournament: December 2 (snow date Dec. 16), Middlebrook Middle School, Wilton
- Winter Tournament: Jan. 27, 2017 (snow date Feb. 10), Smith Middle School Glastonbury
- Spring Tournament April 21, 2017, Eastern Middle School, Greenwich
You may download a pdf version of calendar for printing.
Dues for 2017-18 will be $50 per school, the same as last year. The league does not charge any tournament fees. Dues are paid to the Connecticut Association of Schools. Please down load either a Word Version or PDF Version of the dues notice and payment instruction.
Please email us if you have questions.
It’s August already! That means our CT Middle School Debate League Judges’ Workshop is coming up:
- Monday, August 14
- 9:00 am — 2:00 pm
- CAS (CT Association of Schools)
- 30 Realty Drive, Cheshire, CT , 06410
Anybody who might ever want to judge a CTMSDL debate round is welcome and encouraged to attend — coaches, parents, teachers, school administrators, high school debaters — we have space. Coaches, please forward this invitation to those who might judge for you this year.
We’ll provide lunch for everybody and reimburse coaches for mileage.
Our schedule will be as follows:
- 9:00 – 10:00 tournament-style Judges’ Workshop plus flowing instruction
- 10:00 – 11:30 live debate with discussion after every speech and after the debate
- 11:30 – 12:00 lunch
- 12:30 – 1:30 2nd live debate with discussion after every speech and after the debate
- 1:30 – 2:00 discussion and/or watching a MSPDP Championship Debate
Experienced judges who have attended many Judges’ Workshops are welcome to come to the 9:00 –10:00 portion or start the day at 10:00.
Everyone attending should download and review the Judge’s Instructions, even if you’ve judged before, so it is fresh in your mind.
Please RSVP by email so we have a count and can set the room up. Also please include any any questions, concerns, ideas, suggestions, etc.