On behalf of Coach Cathy Emerick and Bethel Middle School, the Connecticut Middle School Debate League invites you to this season’s first event, a demonstration debate, skill-building workshop and scrimmage, on Saturday, October 21, 2107 from 9:30 am — 2:30 pm.
As previously announced, the topic will be:
This House believes that (THBT) National Service should be compulsory in the United States.
There are a number of items that you can download for more information:
- the full invitation, with directions for registering for the event on tabroom.com, the day’s schedule, and information about teams’ judging burdens and lunch
- Judge’s Instructions
- the updated CTMSDL Handbook
- the 2017-18 CTMSDL 2017-18 Dues Form.
Please note that observers are welcome and there is no cap on the number of teams a school may enter. You may begin registering your teams on tabroom.com now. Registration will close at 6 pm on Friday, October 20.
While the focus of this event is on learning how to debate, and getting comfortable speaking in front of opponents and a judge, it is not only for brand new debaters. However, please use discretion in deciding which debaters to bring to debate. If your debaters have won awards in the past, they’re probably better off helping your newer debaters, rather than debating themselves.
If you have not registered on tabroom or already emailed us, please do so immediately so we know how many to plan for. Let us know:
- Will your school attend? (You may change your mind over the next 2 weeks.)
- Roughly how many teams will you bring to the scrimmage? (You may change this number up until 6 pm on Friday, October 20.)
I look forward to seeing many of you on the 21st. Please email or call me with questions.