On Saturday, December 2, 2017, 218 Middle School debaters in 78 teams from 20 schools debated the motion:
This House would institute year-round schooling.
Proposition prevailed in 62% of the 117 debates.
The team of Halle Hunt, Ava Prevey, and Nathaniel Valdivieso from The Hive won the Final Round on Proposition. Results can be found on tabroom.com on the tournament page under the Results tab or can be downloaded here:
Thank you to coach Michael Panoli and the entire Middlebrook (Wilton) community for hosting. Thank you to the many High School debaters, coaches, teachers and parents who judged. Thank you to The Greenwich Branch of the English Speaking Union and Director Robert Whitby for sponsoring the League.
CTMSDL’s next tournament will be held on Saturday, January 27, 2018 at Smith Middle School in Glastonbury. The motion will be released by Saturday, December 9, 2017.
Please contact me with questions and concerns.
CT Middle School Debate League
The school year is about to begin and our middle school debate calendar is just about set. We will begin with a scrimmage in October and tournaments in December, January and April. The details are:
- Scrimmage: October 21, Bethel Middle School, Bethel
- Fall Tournament: December 2 (snow date Dec. 16), Middlebrook Middle School, Wilton
- Winter Tournament: Jan. 27, 2017 (snow date Feb. 10), Smith Middle School Glastonbury
- Spring Tournament April 21, 2017, Eastern Middle School, Greenwich
You may download a pdf version of calendar for printing.
Dues for 2017-18 will be $50 per school, the same as last year. The league does not charge any tournament fees. Dues are paid to the Connecticut Association of Schools. Please down load either a Word Version or PDF Version of the dues notice and payment instruction.
Please email us if you have questions.
CivicsFirst CT has announced the topic, but not the date, for their annual Middle School policy debate tournament. Find information at CivicsFirst web site.
Welcome, everybody to the 2015-16 season of the CT Middle School Debate League!
Next week you will receive an agenda for our Fall Coaches’ Meeting as well as copies of proposed Bylaws and Handbook that we’ll vote on at that meeting.
Here is our schedule for the 2015-16 school year:
- Coaches’ Meeting: Wednesday, September 16, 4-6 pm, at the offices of the CT Association of Schools, 30 Realty Drive, Cheshire. All coaches are welcome to attend, even if your team hasn’t attended a CTMSDL event yet.
- Scrimmage: Saturday, Oct 17, 9:30—2:30, Luis Munoz Marin School, 479 Helen St, Bridgeport
- Tournament: Saturday, Nov 21, 9:30—2:30, Classical Magnet School, 85 Woodland St, Hartford
- Tournament: Saturday, Jan 23, 9:30—2:30, Eastern Middle School, 51 Hendrie Ave, Greenwich
- (snow date = Sat, Jan 30, same time & place)
- Tournament: Saturday, Apr 30, 9:30—2:30, Wamogo Middle School, 98 Wamogo Rd, Litchfield
Please email me and let me know:
- Does your team plan to participate in the League this year, and
- Will you and/or anyone from your team attend the Coaches’ Meeting on 9/16?
- If you are interested in hosting our Scrimmage on October 17, please let me know.
Please forward this email to any schools that might be interested in joining the League and ask them to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
See you soon!
Connecticut Middle School Debate League
Our next Connecticut Middle School Debate League tournament will be held on Saturday, May 2, 2015 at Bethel Middle School.
The day’s schedule will be similar to the January tournament: one open division , two rounds of debate, lunch, a third round power matched. We will then add a public final round between the top 2 teams, and end with an awards ceremony.
We’ll release the motion by March 1. We gathered ideas from students and some coaches at the Wamogo tournament. We welcome additional suggestions from coaches and students.
We’ll see you in May, if not before. As always, email us at email@example.com with questions and ideas.
CivicsFirst offers another opportunity for Middle School debate. Their tournament will be held on Thursday, April 23, at John Winthrop Middle School in Deep River.
Details may be found at: http://civicsfirstct.com/